The AATCC Foundation’s Varley Family Textile Technology Scholarship is a $7,500 per year scholarship that supports students pursuing a career or performing coursework in textile engineering, textile chemistry, textile science or a related discipline. Recipients are eligible to receive one half of the award for the fall semester, and one half for the spring semester.
IMPORTANT: This scholarship application REQUIRES a faculty letter to be attached. Please ask a faculty member to write a recommendation letter and either give it to you to include in the application form, or email to Debra Hibbard at AATCC Foundation, who will post on the application form.
An undergraduate college student enrolled (with intended career goals) in the field(s) of textile engineering, textile chemistry, textile science, or a related discipline, at either the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) or Cornell University College of Human Ecology is eligible for this scholarship.
Selections will be based on the following criteria:
• Enrollment at FIT or Cornell in one of the required disciplines
• SAT/ ACT scores or college/university GPA
• Demonstrated leadership skills in high school, college, and/or the community
• Financial need
• Work experience
Applications are considered complete if they include the following:
• Resume or letter of work experience (including internships)
• Personal statement of 500 words or less, freely expressing interest in textile or related field, academic and professional aspirations, financial need and expectations, with particular emphasis on intended career following graduation
• Letter of support from teacher or faculty
• Copy of college transcripts
Applications are due to AATCC by FEBRUARY 15. Applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision by May 30.
Those who satisfy the above criteria are invited to submit a completed Scholarship Application Form.
GERALD M. VARLEY
The AATCC Foundation Varley Family Textile Technology Scholarship is in memory of Gerald M. Varley, who attended North Carolina State University College of Textiles on a King George VI Memorial Fellowship. After a career at Canadian Celanese, Uniroyal, and William Heller, he founded Varley Textile Associates and, in 1986, co-founded Vartest. Over 30 years, Vartest, located in New York City, has become the preeminent textile laboratory, supporting local companies involved in sourcing globally, as well as manufacturers of fiber, yarn, fabric, and apparel domestically and worldwide.
For questions, please contact AATCC Foundation, Inc. at 919/549-3524 or email Debra Hibbard.